LE Europe offers a solid understanding of the economics of space, expertise in economic analysis and best practice industry knowledge to provide independent analysis and innovative decision-making tools to guide decision-makers in this most challenging of operating environments.
Our consultants are highly-qualified economists with extensive experience in applying a wide variety of analytical techniques to the space industry, including:
- Financial business case development for new infrastructure, such as Spaceports, including profit & loss reports, and cashflow calculations
- Economic business case development for infrastructure projects including estimation of public utility benefits
- Financial modelling around launcher technologies
- Insightful and accurate market analysis and demand forecasting;
- Analysis of space industry structures, strategy and competitive forces;
- New technology adoption modelling;
- Opportunity prioritisation and targeting to maximise exploitation of investment;
- Sophisticated statistical analysis (econometrics, regression);
- Economic and financial modelling, among which: Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA), cost effectiveness analysis, Value for Money (VfM), impact assessment, policy evaluation, business case development, cash flow and sustainability modelling.
Our clients include:
- European Space Agency (ESA)
- National space agencies (e.g. UK, Norway)
- Gatwick Airport
- Private operators (e.g. Reaction Engines Ltd.).
Recent projects include:
- Due diligence and CBA analysis of a space-plane operator for the European Space Agency.
- Advice to the UK Space Agency on the benefits to the UK economy from future investment in space exploration technology, including a UK spaceport, small launcher rockets and other launcher technologies.
- A socio-economic impact assessment of Norway’s space programs (European Space Agency funding, Norwegian Space Centre support funds, Radarsat) for the Norwegian Ministry of Trade and Industry.
- Competition analysis and advice
- Independent economic assessment of future benefits to the UK of investment in the SKYLON reusable spaceplane launcher for Reaction Engines Ltd. (recently reviewed favourably by the European Space Agency, ESA)